Lessons in Loonies

About Christine Sirois

There are two kinds of people who go to journalism school. The first group attends because they have an interest in news and current events. They enjoy writing and envision reporting as their destiny. They make up about 20% of students. People in the second group have a simpler reason: they are bad at math. I fall into this category and, unfortunately, people like me make up the other 80% of journalism students.

Christine Sirois is a third-year journalism and film student at Carleton University in Ottawa. She likes coffee, knitting, vintage trinkets, puns, road trips and listening to records.
 

Stay up to date with our tips and posts by subscribing to our RSS feed!

Subscribe and Save

POSTED BY Christine Sirois

While most students slave over textbooks all semester, things are a little different in journalism school. Our textbooks are newspapers and magazines. While the rest of the world may snub the ol’ ink on paper, I’m a bit old-fashioned. But buying each issue of a magazine or a daily paper gets pricey, especially if you’re an avid reader. MORE

Tagged , , ,

Busting out the Bike!

POSTED BY Christine Sirois

To me, warmer weather means one thing: bike season. I know a few brave souls who cycle year round, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I just save up my excitement all winter long to get back out on the road once spring has sprung. MORE

Tagged , , ,

The Early Bird Gets the Gig

POSTED BY Christine Sirois

Spring may barely be upon us, but I’ve already got summer on my mind. Well, at least summer jobs. For me, making money in the summer is key to financial stability during the school year. While a minimum wage job keeps things steady, it would be nice to have a little surplus account. So how do you find a job that pays more than $10.25 an hour? Start your search early. MORE

Tagged , , , ,

Where to Get Good Stuff Cheap: Theatre Tickets

POSTED BY Christine Sirois

As a student, it’s tough to find fun things to do that won’t break the bank. Sure, you can stay in and watch a movie, but there are only so many times you can do that before you want to bust out of your apartment for a night out. For those ready for a night on the town, I present to you the student rush ticket! MORE

Tagged , , ,

Cheap Ways to Procrastinate and Stay Sane During Finals

POSTED BY Christine Sirois

Ah, finals… That sweet time of year when everything you’ve worked for all semester hinges on one paper or exam worth 50% of your final grade; where countless hours of reading and studying seem futile in the face of Jacques … MORE

Tagged , , ,