Please review our code of conduct.
About IEFInvestor Education Fund (IEF) is funded by the Ontario Securities Commission to develop and promote tools and resources that help people make smarter financial decisions. GetSmarterAboutMoney.ca is IEF’s public educational website.
Find us on FacebookGet smarter while you get social. Invite your friends to financial freedom.
School of SavingsSchool is a great investment in your future, but budgeting time and money as a student can be tough. Christine, Fahmida and Stacey are three real students juggling exams, bills and squeezing in some thrills. Follow them each week to see what they have to say in the School of Savings.
Living Large on a Budget
I have recently become a real adult. A recent graduate: my comfortable student life days have vanished before my eyes, and financial responsibility and obligations have taken its place. Suddenly I feel pressure to immediately find ways to beef up my savings account, learn to create a long-term budget that I’ll actually stick to, educate myself on the world of investments and, even though it sounds outrageously early (but really isn’t), start planning for retirement.
Although I’m dedicated to meeting my savings goals, I also have other more pressing financial priorities. Ranging from financing a move to South Korea in the fall, to travelling, weekend trips, the occasional shopping purchase and going out with my friends – these things can’t be compromised. I truly believe that as long as I plan and budget effectively, I can lead a balanced, comfortable lifestyle where I don’t sacrifice any of my pleasure, yet still have a healthy bank account and growing short and long-term investments.
Follow me as I learn to adapt to my new financial responsibilities, dive into the investment world, teach myself about budgeting, investing and retirement planning, while also striving to fund my other immediate, short-term goals.
Emily Ngai recently graduated from The University of Western Ontario with a four-year honours degree in Media, Information & Technoculture and a two-year diploma in Journalism – Broadcast from Fanshawe College. She loves travelling, meeting new people, planning (whether it’s a to-do list, a weekend adventure or a trip abroad), writing, exercising, shopping and cooking.
Confessions of a Student Saver
I’m young. I’m fabulous. I’m also broke by the end of each month. Most students only have a part time job (or none at all). I myself work five hours a week during the school year, and spend most of my earnings on food, entertainment and clothing - none of it towards savings.
Watch as I try to change these spending and savings habits. Expect lots of pictures, cheesy puns, references to Kanye and most importantly, great money-managing tips!Fahmida Kamali is a second year student at the University of Toronto studying psychology and economics. She loves food, fashion, arts and entertainment.
Lessons in Loonies
There are two kinds of people who go to journalism school. The first group attends because they have an interest in news and current events. They enjoy writing and envision reporting as their destiny. They make up about 20% of students. People in the second group have a simpler reason: they are bad at math. I fall into this category and, unfortunately, people like me make up the other 80% of journalism students.Christine Sirois is a third-year journalism and film student at Carleton University in Ottawa. She likes coffee, knitting, vintage trinkets, puns, road trips and listening to records.
Saving and the City
On my 27th birthday it was time to take stock -- get a handle on things, see the big picture. Pinch myself. What did I have to show after 27 years? I want to have enough money to live with minimal stress and maximum freedom, but I’ve always invested my energy in work that has yet to pay off. The funny thing is, I’m still unwilling to sacrifice those passions for financial security.Am I asking for too much? I guess we’ll find out together...